"Who ya’ gonna call" - List of Mental Health and Crisis Resources by Kathy Keil
This is a list of community resources that can offer mental health help and support including suicide intervention and crisis support.
Print this list! Make it personal. Add phone numbers for help and support in your own local community.
If you are in immediate crisis, please call 911 immediately.
In Canada, we have Veterinary Provincial Employee Family Assistance Plan (EFAP) Providers.
Check with your association to make sure that you have the most up to date information. As of June 25, 2019 the information is as follows:
• BC, AB, MB Veterinary Medical Associations EFAP Provider is Homewood Health 1.800.663.1142. Press (1) for immediate crisis support, offered 24/7. homeweb.ca
• Saskatchewan Veterinary Medical Association. Professional Psychologists and Counsellors (PPC) 1.306.664.000 or 1.888.425.7721. email@example.com. www.peopleproblems.ca Service available to all active general, life practicing and educational SVMA members (must have been licensed for 6 months). Four hours of complimentary services annually. Your license number is required.
• Ontario Veterinary Medical Association EFAP Provider is WorkHealthLife 1.844.880.9137. www.workhealthlife.com. Available to OVMA members and their family. Professionals Health Program 1.800.851.6606 (Ontario only). Available to veterinarians registered with College of Veterinarians of Ontario
• Quebec AMVQ Association EFAP Provider is Morneau Shepell 1.800.361.2433, travailsantevie.com
• New Brunswick Veterinary Medical Association EFAP Provider is Clinic of Applied Psychology 1. 506..858.9180. www.cpamoncton.ca/fr (French) ww.cpamoncton.ca/en/ (English). Service available to veterinarians registered with the New-Brunswick Veterinary Medical Association. Three complimentary sessions with a psychologist (confidential). Bilingual appointments available in Moncton or with one of their partners across the province.
• Nova Scotia Veterinary Medical Association EFAP Provider is the Professional Support Program 1.800.563.3427. Service available to veterinarians registered with the Nova Scotia Veterinary Medical Association.
• Prince Edward Island. No provincial EFAP Provider. Direct suicide support call 1.800.218.2885
• Newfoundland and Labrador. No provincial EFAP Provider. Mental Health Crisis Centre (NL) 1.888.737.4668
• Northwest Territories/ Nunavut/ Yukon. Canadian association for suicide prevention NWT 1.800.661.0844. www.nwthelpline.ca and in Nunavut/Nunavik 1.800.265.3333
****For anyone (not veterinary specific) anywhere in Canada. Direct suicide support call 1.833.456.4566 or text 45645. This is a crisis line for immediate help when in crisis. It connects people to their local crisis centre****
• Find the number of your local distress centre and write it down on this list. Google these search terms – distress centre and the name of your local community.
• Write down other resources in your own community like counsellors, psychologists, social workers, chaplains.
The CVMA also have a list of support services categorized per province https://www.canadianveterinarians.net/documents/resources/vet-health-wellness-helplines-support-services
This list was written and generously shared by Dr. Kathy Keil (and only slightly modified by IMThriving). IMThriving will do its best to keep the list as up to date as possible.